Cheryl (Malbon) Duncan

CHERYL MALBON DUNCAN...

I didn't fall too far from the Verdugo tree! My siblings and their families continue to live less than one hour away. We have been able to stay extremely close. I taught mostly kindergarten for 37 years. Getting those five year olds reading and writing was a passion and most rewarding. I was also known as the "clay queen" at my school. Loved ceramics and still get to see it around my neighborhood. I also see former students, parents and collegues which keeps me young (I think)! I met my husband of 40 years, Tedd, teaching. Our jobs allowed us to pursue and enjoy all kinds of sports during our summer and winter breaks, and spend a lot of quality time with our kids. We have two grown children, Philip (32), a tax accountant, and Kacy (30), a 4th grade teacher.

Since retiring in 2008, we have traveled extensively to more places than I ever dreamed I would go. We are off to Australia and New Zealand in November. We also have a 2nd home in Indio where after many knee surgeries and broken bones I have traded my snow and water skiis for golf clubs. We play frequently with friends but I no longer play in the summer.

I still see Mary (Sanchez) Ronalds and Laurel (Herbert) Blair. My favorite memory of VHHS is being Mr. Lee's secretary. I also loved physiology and dissecting.

A lasting memory from VHHS was the feud between Mr. Blyoder (Spanish) and Mr. Pressnall (Geometry). Pressnal would pound on the adjoining wall and say this drives Blyoder crazy! Blyoder would stare, get mad, and then bang on the wall back! High school teachers weren't any more mature than we were!!  If you were ever wondering why Pressnall stopped saying "Where is the razor blade, I need to slash my wrist?," it's because I produced one for him one day so he decided
to start "burning tea leaves in the back room" when someone was lost in Geometry (that would be me!!).




Comments